Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy Anniversary.

I have complained a lot lately that my husband and I have not been on a date in a long time.  I mean like since before we had Aiden. Who is 2 ½. We’ve gotten a babysitter a few times just to run errands, go to Target or the grocery store (lame, I know), but not a real honest to goodness date (like say, dinner and a movie). There is just too much going on.

Yesterday was our 9 year wedding anniversary. But it was also Ash Wednesday. I had planned on fish and macaroni and cheese for dinner, and was hoping I could convince Emma to go to church with me.

But my doorbell rang at 4:00. It was one of my students (also one of our babysitters) with a card. She was there to watch the kids, because according to the card, we were going on a date.  Emma told me to change my clothes and wear earrings (I think that’s funny because since I don’t often wear a lot of jewelry I think she must believe that dressing up for me means wearing earrings!)

Now normally, this would drive me nuts. I like being in control and don’t really like surprises. Of course I wanted to know where we were going, what the kids were going to eat, how long we were going to be gone, etc.  And what about church? But I decided that in the end I wasn’t going to worry about any of that. I was actually, for once, just going to go with the flow.

Mike brought me flowers and he brought a pizza for the kids and he took me to dinner at Johnny’s Italian Steakhouse. On Ash Wednesday! (He’s not Catholic). But I had a wonderful shrimp dish and 2 glasses of Moscato and we got free dessert because we were celebrating our anniversary. I realize I pushed the limit a little with the whole Ash Wednesday thing, but I’m hoping God will understand. I didn’t once have to fish crayons off the floor or find snacks in my purse and I didn’t leave with food handprints on my sweater. I had a nice, grown-up dinner and a nice conversation with my husband. Thanks honey, for making my day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had such a great anniversary date! Emma was excited when she told us about it during carpool that day. We have our 10th anniversary this summer. I have hinted to Matt that maybe we should take a trip to celebrate but neither one of us has planned anything yet. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete