Monday, February 28, 2011

Addiction

It all started innocently enough. First it was just a ½ hour of Sesame Street – I mean come on, who doesn’t love Elmo? Then we moved on to Playhouse Disney – Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, Special Agent OSO – anything that was about a half hour meant I could finally take a shower in peace! Then he discovered Dora and Diego (and he LOVES animals, so he was hooked). And Playhouse Disney turned to Disney Junior, with new shows like Jake and the Neverland Pirates. We read a lot of books at our house, so Curious George is also a big favorite. And suddenly he’s yelling out the names of shows I’ve never even heard as I scroll through the tv guide – Fresh Beat Band, Bubble Guppies and oh God no, not Yo Gabba Gabba.  So its official – my son is addicted to television.
I know this because he started saying things like “I watch 5 more minutes” and “Imagination Movers coming up next”. If I didn’t know better, I swear he knows what is on at different times throughout the day. If he’s being crabby during the hour before dinner he says “I watch Curious George on the couch”. And it’s not just cartoons; he loves watching Wipeout, Minute To Win It and American Idol.
The novelty of the Christmas toys has worn off.  We still have snow on the ground (and it’s 25 degrees!) We have to get outside and play. I thought that damn groundhog said spring was coming?
So today we are taking a much needed break from television. Please pray that I make it to naptime!

No comments:

Post a Comment